Improve your Health by being Kind
There are enough people in the world who do not care. Well they do care, but it is all about them. They live with an indulgent sense of self entitlement. Telling them that one of the best ways to improve their health is to be kind to others could send them into confusion and denial.
However this is true. There are significant benefits when helping others.None more so than improving your health. Here are the reasons why it is such a great idea.
So just how do you improve your Health by being Kind?
- Makes you feel great!
- Serotonin is the neurotransmitter that gives us the feeling of satisfaction and well-being. Anti-depressants medication work by increasing the serotonin supply to your brain. This is why you feel good when you do something nice for other people. (Psychology Today) And we all love feeling great!
- Helps to chill you out
- Anxiety is rife around the world. Studies have shown that by being kind to people can significantly affect your psychological well-being positively. This leads to a more positive and healthy you. (National Center for Biotechnology Information)
- Gives you a longer life
- Yes, there is scientific evidence that by being kind to others can help you live longer. Care-giving behavior is associated with decreased mortality risk, simply put there is evidence of an extended life span for people who care for others. (Psychological Science Research Article)
I’m in! What do I have to do?
So just how do you improve your health by being kind? This is not an extensive list, there are many ways that you can be kind to others. At work, at home, in the street plenty of opportunity to be kind.
- Be Genuine – you are not going to fool anyone if you are only doing this for health benefits and guess what? It will not work anyway.
- Active Listening – this is not easy for some, but truly focus on what they are saying. Do not interrupt.
- Genuine Compliments – if someone has done a good job at work, TELL THEM! Do not wait until the annual review, tell them right away.
- Smile – When did we all forget to smile? Smiling makes people feel better.
- Be patient when you want to yell – Learn more on the six steps to avoid workplace conflict here.
Do we really need a reason to be kind?
Humans are designed to help each other. Do we really need a reason to be kind? To Improve your Health by being kind is a good reason certainly. However, the most important benefit is that kindness is contagious. This means that one act of kindness can lead to another and another………..who knows where it may end?
Let us be kind to each other.
What random acts of kindness have you either received or dished out?